Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Yarn Review: Dream Club February 2016



Hello everyone! This month for my yarn review, I'm again reviewing this month's Dream Club yarn and pattern. For February we have Dream in Color Classy with Cashmere in a highly variegated, beautifully bright colorway. Classy with Cashmere is a super squishy yarn that is made up of 70% Superwash Merino, 20% Cashmere and 10% Nylon. The ball band on the skein that I received said that it was Superwash Merino (Ravelry says Merino), but the washing instructions say to hand wash (probably because of the cashmere) so keep that in mind when choosing your projects.



I am absolutely in love with the colorway for this month!! With the bright, vibrant pops of reds, blues, yellows and oranges set against the more prominent greens and purples this skein of yarn instantly made me think of rainforests (well, Rainforest Cafes at least). The yarn itself is soft and bouncy and I couldn't wait to take it's picture, wind it up and start knitting. 



I've been a member of the Dream Club off and on for a few years now, but I don't think that I've ever actually knit with Classy with Cashmere before. (Most of my previous Dream Club skeins went straight to feeding the stash because I used to have a difficult time knitting my favorite yarns.) I've been working on lots of large fingering weight projects lately, so this gorgeous worsted weight was absolutely perfect and it feels so luxurious as you knit with it. As I mentioned in my last yarn review, I love Jilly with Cashmere and Smooshy with Cashmere (notice the theme) and now I can add Classy with Cashmere to the line-up. A sweater knit with this yarn base would be a dream both to make and to wear and is now on my goals list for this year.


Photo Credit to Lara Neel

The pattern that came with the February Yarn was Pleasant Pheasant by Lara Neel. Not only is Lara the amazing author of Sock Architecture, she also used to be in my knitting groups back in the day before she moved out of town. Pleasant Pheasant is a slipper pattern  that she has created using the Eye of Partridge stitch as the all over pattern to enhance the longevity of these beautiful slipper socks. She doesn't mention it in her pattern notes, but I also think that the use of a slip-stitch pattern was a wonderful idea to break up the intense colors and help to combat awkward pooling.

 The only issue that I have with this yarn/pattern combo is the fact that these are slippers and this is a handwash only yarn. I am definately casting these on as soon as my Doodler is finished, but I would have been a bit happier if the yarn was a superwash. I suppose that I can't have it all, though. If the yarn was a superwash, I doubt that it would have had cashmere and then I never would have gotten this colorway on this base. So, all in all, I am very pleased with this month's pairing and I can't wait to cast-on my Classy with Cashmere Pleasant Pheasant slipper socks.

Have a great week of knitting, see you next Wednesday!
Shaina  ^_^

PS: Sign up for my e-mail list to receive 50% off my Hearts Alive cowl through the end of February!!

No comments:

Post a Comment